Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Ban Kao National Museum

I think I should have visited this museum when I went to Prasat Muang Sing since it is close by but why not take 2 days to do something that can easily be done in one. That is at least my current out look on my retired life in Thailand.

I took a long slow ride on the motorcycle out through the countryside enjoying the cool weather for a change.

The museum itself was a surprise to me with a modern building and really good displays and exhibits. A number of different videos with some English spoken and all with English subtitles. The museums main focus was on the stone-age people from this area of Thailand. A Dutch prison of war discovered stone tools while working on the death railroad during World War II. He was a prisoner for the 2nd World War and remained a prisoner for the Indonesia Independence War but once freed Hendrik Robert van Heekeren returned to Kanchanaburi to do archaeological research.

There were also some exhibits on Prasat Muang Sing and some of the items from that temple ruins that I had visited a few weeks before.

Following is a picture of the museum and a number of things on display.



They had a lot of info on the tri-footed pots.



Stone Tools



One of the remains on display.



Hollowed out tree coffins.





Brass Drums found in the area.



This is the view from behind the museum.



A temple next to the museum that was cranking out some Thai music.



No comments:

Post a Comment