Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Phatthalung to Songkhla

This is the link to my route from Phatthalung to Songkhla.



I made the ride from Phatthalung to another island in Phatthalung Lake this was called Ko Mak. I rode through the island to the northern tip of the island but other than the bridge to the island I don't think I saw the lake at all.

I saw a temple called Koh Khop temple (วัดเกาะโคบ) and went to it to have a view of the lake.





I rode across another island in the lake named Ko Nang Kham.

After leaving the island I continued on towards the town of Songkhla and tried to find a view of the water ended up at a place called Songkhla Pier.







I rode onto another island but this one is in Songkhla Lake and is called Ko Yo (เกาะยอ). The pier I stopped at earlier is on what I would call a channel that connects Songkhla lake with the Gulf of Thailand.

When I was going onto the island I saw a Buddha on a hill near where the bridge ended and decided to ride up there.

I didn't find the Buddha but ended up at the Folklore Museum The Institute for Southern Thai Studies, Thaksin University (พิพิธภัณฑ์คติชนวิทยา สถาบันทักษิณคดีศึกษา). I didn't go into the museum but enjoyed the view over the lake.



I rode back down the hill from the museum and all the way around Ko Yo. This island ride had great views of lake as I rode along.





I rode off the island and into the town of Songkhla, found a hotel and then a much needed laundromat.

I spent the next day visiting Songkhla Sites on the linked route.



My first stop of the day was at Masjid Ban Bon - Usasan Islam (มัสยิดบ้านบน-อุสาสนอิสลาม). My phone kept telling me it was not open yet and when I arrived there seemed to be construction in front of the Mosque. I snapped a photo and moved on.



I had planned on stopping in the area known as Songkhla Old Town (เมืองสงขลา) but just keep on rolling and looking around from the seat of the bike.

I stopped and snapped a quick picture at the Songkhla City Wall (กำแพงเมืองสงขลา).



Following is a picture of The Great Serpent - Naga Head (ประติมากรรมหัวพญานาค).



While I was at the Naga Head I also snapped a shot of a fishing boat returning to Songkhla.



I stopped at Samila Beach and the Golden Mermaid Statue (รูปปั้นนางเงือก). This area was overrun with school kids. I always remember my Mom once saying about school kids at tourist attraction "Do kids spend anytime in school these days? It seems like they are always on field trips."







I rode along the coast going south and stopped at Bor It Beach (หาดบ่ออิฐ) for a few pictures.







I had completed the sites in the town of Songkhla that I had planned and Bor It Beach was not even a planned stop. It was still early in the afternoon so decided to make the ride to Wat Khuat (วัดขวด).

I wrote about visiting Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew or Temple of 1 million bottles and Wat Khuat is a similar temple. Wat Khuat means bottle temple.

I wonder if any of the bottles I emptied are somewhere included in this very special temple.









I had thought this would be a short day and rest a bit but decided to try and hit the link for the Hat Yai Sites as well.



I rode throught the off and on rain showers from Wat Khuat into the city of Hat Yai and went to the Chinese style temple of Wat Chue Chang (วัดฉื่อฉาง).





I rode up the hill behind the hill behind the Hatyai City Municipal Park (สวนสาธารณะเทศบาลนครหาดใหญ่) to the Kho Hong Mountain vista point (จุดชมวิวเขาคอหงส์).

The viewpoint had views over Hat Yai and also a standing Buddha on this hill top.





I also snapped a photo of my next stop from a distance.



I rode down the hill and a bit through the park before heading to my last site of the day at The Central Mosque of Songkhla (มัสยิดกลางประจำจังหวัดสงขลา).





I extend my hotel stay for a third day in Songkhla. I had reached the milage on the bike for an oil change the previous day. I spent my 3rd day as a bit of a rest day but accomplished getting the oil changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment