Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dubrovnik to Korcula

Friday and Saturday 11th and 12th of May.

A friend suggested that I put a map up so people that do not have one have an idea of where I am.



Here is one of Montenegro,



Here is one of Croatia.

My landlady in Dubrovnik did my laundry so I do not smell as bad as I use to but it has gotten really hot here in the 30s C/90s F so my clothes are not clean for long. Did not do a lot on Friday other then go the short distance between Dubrovnik and Korcula. I am now on the island of Korcula in the town of Korcula. I took the bus from Dubrovnik and it took a little over 3 hours. This seemed like a long time for what appeared to be a short distance. The view from the bus was still amazing.



View from one stop on the bus.

On the way we went by a town called Ston and it is a walled city set on a hill. As we went by all I could think was what my legs would feel like after walking that wall. The book I have say it is the longest fortification in Europe 5.5K. The bus kept going so I did not find out and I am sure you can tell that I am really disappointed.

Korcula is another fortified city but this one does not seem to have many steps. On arriving there was a man at the bus station renting a room so I am in the center of a little town in a nice room. I was thinking I would never follow a stranger home from a bus station in the US or most of Europe and plan on staying with them and now after about a week here this seems normal.


One picture of Korcula.

Another of Korcula.

Once getting in town I checked on the boat to my next stop of Hvar. There is only a boat on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The book said there was one every day. I had only planned on staying here 2 nights but guess it will now be 3. I am still not use to this type of travel where time is not a big factor. I am use to having 8 to 16 days and having to try and see as much as possible. I guess it will take some time but I am starting to really like this.

On Saturday caught a bus for a day trip to Vela Luka which sets about on the opposite end of the island from Korcula so was able to see a lot of the 57K island from the bus. Vela Luka is nothing special as a town but sets on a pretty bay by the same name and I spent a lot of the day walking along the edge of the bay. The water here is also really clear so spent some of the day watching fish. What an exciting trip I am having.


Tower in Vela Luka.

More later,

No comments:

Post a Comment