Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2024

Si Thep Historical Park a UNESCO World Heritage Site

My second stop of the day was at Si Thep Historical Park (อุทยานประวัติศาสตร์ศรีเทพ) which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 19 September 2023. There was a guy that told us a bit about the site and he said that this site pre-dates the Khmer, the Ayutthaya and the Sukhothai periods in Thailand.

The following picture is of Prang Song Phi Nong. This site pre-dates the Khmer perido but the Khmer influence is all over it.



The following pictuers are of the largest ruin at the main site and is Khao Khlang Nai.



The following picture is of Prang Si Thep.



The following pictures are of Khao Klang Nok (เขาคลังนอก), which is about 2 kilometers (1 mile) from the main historical park. It is the largest of the ruins and the ones most often seen in pictures where people are referring to Si Thep.

When walking around the main historical site I talked a bit to a monk that was also visiting and he told me that Khao Klang Nok was a distance away and I had to check my maps to make sure I did not miss it.



This was my first picture at Si Thep and I am not really sure of the significance of the remains other than the dating of the site to over 2,000 years in the past.



I spent the night close to Si Thep but these were my only stops in the province of Phetchabun on this trip. I hope to return to Phetchabun in the future because I still have pins on my map to visit in this province.

No comments:

Post a Comment