Pages

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Hitting the Road Headed to a Rocket Festival

I booked a hotel for the rocket festival in Yasothon (Bun Bang Fai). I hit the road 10 days before my reservation to ensure I arrived in time. I also planned some stops along the twisty way my bike was going to take me.

I had been on the road for less then 30 minutes and the skys opened up and started dumping buckets of water on me. Unlike previous trips I had a rain suit with me. I found a place with a roof and put on my new rain suit and continued on down the road.

Once I seemed to be out of the rain I stopped again and removed the rain suit. I was not dripping wet but I was still wet. I think it's still worth carrying the suit ever if I hate what it adds to my luggage.

I had planned to make it to Wat Pa Sawang Bun but stopped about 30 kilometers (20 miles) before the temple and found a hotel.



I made it to Wat Pa Sawang Bun early the following morning. I would describe it as a large Stupa surrounded by loads of little stupas.



My next stop of the day was the Ganesha Park Temple in Nakhon Nayok. I thought there would be more Ganeshas than there were but the 2 large pink elephants were impressive.





I continued on to Phuttha Utthayan Makha Bucha Anusorn and to my surprise I was greeted by another large pink elephant.



The thing I was expecting to see at Phuttha Utthayan Makha Bucha Anusorn was a Buddha statue surrounded by multiple rows of golden smaller Buddhas. I found it a striking display.







My next site of the day was Wat Maniwong.

It seemsed like just another Thai Buddhist temple at first.







At some point it turned into this sort of Naga maze suronding a large golden Buddha.









This is a short video I posted of the Naga bit but don't think the pictures or the video do the temple justice.



My last tourist stop was at Prachinburi National Museum. It was an interesting little museum but not sure it was worth the 150 baht price. The fact there was an employee keeping an eye on me as I looked at the exhibits gave me a strange feeling and was a bit off putting. There seemed to be 10 employees and me the only visitor so monitoring me provided them a job.

I planned on staying in Prachinburi but rode for about an hour and found a room for the night. It was an interesting first day of playing tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment