Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Moved to Kanchanaburi

I had never planned on staying in Pattaya for as long as I did. I moved from a suburb of Bangkok to Pattaya after being in Thailand for about 6 months. It was in the middle of all the COVID madness and since there were no tourist arriving in Thailand at the time I thought it was a perfect time to live in a tourist town.

Pattaya was a bit depressing when I first arrived, a tourist town with no tourist. I got over the depressing feeling quickly and really enjoyed the city. It was nice for me, the shops were not crowded and riding my motorbike around was a lot of fun. After a while the Thai people discovered a beach town they had left to the foreigners to do with what they wanted and started visiting Pattaya on weekends and holidays. Then the tourist started coming back. I should have moved after 2 years but was too lazy but when my lease reached the end of the 3rd year I was out the door.

I changed my mind maybe five times when I was picking a new city. I picked one city and then heard it was the worst city for breathing in the burning season. I picked another city and thought about the long distance to visiting other parts of Thailand on my motorbike. I picked another city and just could not find any condos to rent in the city online. I finally decided on Kanchanaburi.

I got on the bike and drove to Kanchanaburi, found a condo, put down a deposit for them to hold the condo for me until my move day. I hopped back on the bike and went back to Pattaya to prepare for the move.

I booked a truck to move my stuff. I was hoping to be able to load my motorcycle in the back of the truck and ride along. The company I found would not allow you to ride with them. I decided to just ride my bike and hope I could beat the driver to my new home. I had picked the cheaper price for the truck and this was for a shared load. Since the driver was going to stop in other places and pick up more loads and deliver them along the way it took the pressure off of feeling like I had to race. It took me about 6 hours on the drive and the truck arrived 13 hours after leaving my home in Pattaya. Here is a photo of my stuff before loading it on the truck. It all fit in the space above the cab of the truck so he had lots of room for other customer's stuff.



I did a short video to show my new place below. I had planned to do one of the old place before leaving but seemed to have a lot going on with loading the truck, being checked out and making sure I didn't forget anything. I did forget something, I forgot to take a leaving video of my old place.



I really enjoyed my time in Pattaya but am looking forward to exploring Kanchanaburi and hoping for a little bit more relaxing city. It is still a tourist with the bridge over the river Kwai but not anywhere on the same scale as the beach and nightlife city that is Pattaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment