Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

St Paul de Vence

One day in Nice I hoped on a buss going to St Paul de Vence. This is a walled town on the top of a hill.



The great thing about going to a place in the off season is it is not jam packed with tourist. I had a number of the narrow lanes all to myself and think I saw as many residents and I did visitors.



I have said this before but not sure why I always seem to visit cemeteries when I am traveling and St Paul was no different.



There were a lot of attractive views from the town and this is one and it is hard to see that is snow on the mountains in the distance. More about snow on the next post.



As I was headed back to the buss stop there was a small market taking place and there was a stand selling socca which is a local dish to this area of France. It is made out of chickpea flour and olive oil. Below is the picture of the socca and the oven that it was cooked in. The pan that they cooked it in was like a pizza pan but I think about 4 feet across. The socca is about as thick as a thin crust pizza. The cook would rotate the pan to make sure it thoroughly cooked all the way around this huge pan.



The picture that I started this post with was the last one I took just before catching the buss back to Nice.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the narrow lanes in different European cities, not sure why I found them so fascinating. Probably because I am from australia where it's unusual to get anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a castle nut so seem to really enjoy anything with big stone walls. Europe is great for seeing castles and walled cities.

      Delete
  2. I loved this part of France. We also hopped a bus from Nice but went to the hilltop town of Eze. Beautiful cobbled lanes and gorgeous views of the countryside. I remember going into a shop that sold hand-blown glass bottles. Hope to spend more time in that region some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at pictures of Eze and a map I had to go right pass there on the bus to Monaco but somehow must have completely missed it.

      Delete