Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Kicking Back in Dresden

After a work conference of long days I hopped on a train to Dresden. Looking back on it I should have just spent another weekend in Berlin since I have only scratched the surface of that city but the desire to see a new city threw all good reasoning out the window. 



For a city that was thoroughly bombed during World War II it has a large number of beautiful buildings that have been restored. I spent a large part of my first day on Museum Overload. I enjoy going to museums but I should know better than to try and do more than one museum in a day. I began the day at the Zwinger which is a palace that now contains 4 different museums. The Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon was undergoing construction but I spent some time in the other 3 ( Old Masters Gallery, Porcelain Collection & Armory ).  It was interesting going through these museums but but it struck me that usually the paintings that I enjoy seeing are not the most famous ones. The painting you are suppose to be impressed by in the masters gallery is the Sistine Madonna and much like the Mona Lisa I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. I  will never earn a living with anything to do with classical paintings.

After the Zwinger I headed over to the Residenzschloss which is another palace that now contains a number of Museums. I visited the Türckische Cammer and the Neues Grünes Gewölbe in this palace.The Turkish Room is attached the Armory in the Zwinger and covers Turkish armament.  To me the New Grunes Gewolbe was the most impressive of all the museums that I visited in the day and it was a really shame that I hit this one last. It was full of all kinds of ornate objects and in the last room was the Dresden Green Diamond. The following picture is not mind but one I found on the internet of the diamond. This the largest green diamond in the world and I didn't even know there where green diamonds.



The rest of my time in Dresden I felt was better spent just enjoying the city and not really trying to pack in sites. I visited a few of the cities churches and walked around enjoying the vibe of city. The highlight of Dresden for me was setting in a couple of beer gardens eating some good food and enjoying the view of the river with the impressive city in the background.



It is a German Beer even though the glass is a Cezch brand name. Kicking back and watch life in a city is something I forget to do when I don't have a lot of time but I came to my senses in Dresden and really enjoyed the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment