Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Samut Songkhram Floating Markets

I talked about wanting to visit the Amphawa Floating Market in the post Visiting a Train Market but had still not made it to Amphawa. I watched a YouTuber visiting a floating market recently and made me think about going to the market. I visited Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market back in 2014 and my thoughts on floating markets has not changed much in 10 years.

Ratchaburi is the provience next to Samut Songkhram provience and the Amphawa Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำอัมพวา). I made the 45 minute ride to the location of the market and even though Google said it opened at 2PM I assumed Google was wrong but is Google ever wrong. In this case Google was correct and the market was in the process of setting up all the stalls and not many visitors. I sort of enjoyed the empty walkways and bridges but if you want the full market experince 10 AM on a Saturday is not the right time to go.











Before leaving Amphawa I captured a short video I found a bit funny. 4 people on a small motorbike.



I enjoy some of OTR Food and History videos on YouTube and thought their video on Floating Markets was really good. I saved the next 2 markets from their video a year ago and just got around to visiting them Saturday.

Tha Kha Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำท่าคา) was a short ride from Amphawa and following are some pictures and a short that I uploaded to YouTube. I think the market was not very busy because now is the rainy season. I only bought a 10 baht leaf of roasted sweet sticky rice with banana and an ice coffee at this market.













I next made the ride to Lak Ha Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำหลักห้า) through rice fields often following trucks loaded down with coconuts. This market had even less people than the last one. I had a bowl of boat noodles and a bottle of water at this market. Following are a few of pictures I took at this market.











I was floating marketed out at this point and made the 2 hour ride back to my home in Kanchanaburi. I still have 3 more floating markets pinned on my phone within 2 hours ride of home but hope it will not take me 10 years to mark them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment