Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Sakon Nakhon

My last day in Yasothon was a bit of a bust. I headed out to another rocket festival but the storm clouds came and dumped all they had on my head. I was very happy when I managed to fight my way through the viscous storm and made it back to the hotel.

The following morning I hopped on the motorbike and headed to the city and province of Sakon Nakhon. This is one of the province that I have not visited before and I would like to visit all of the Thai provinces.

I don't plan most of my routes just put my destination in Google Maps and let it do it's magic. Once I got off the main highway I really enjoyed the route that it directed me. It was fun following the twists and turns thought the hills of Sakon Nakhon.

I needed a break as I rode by Wat Siri Mangkla Tao Ngoi (วัดศิริมังคละเต่างอย). I took a couple of pictures at this unplanned stop and got a chance to strech my legs.



Back on the bike and zipping through the hills on my way to Wat Tham Pha Daen (วัดถ้ำผาแด่น).

I was riding to the temple when I got to a place where the road was blocked and they directed me into a parking lot. I had to pay 20 Baht and ride in the back of a pickup truck up the hill.

The area around the temple was forested with paths around and rock carvings and statues.



When I was coming down some steps a man was showing his son what I think was a centipede. I asked if I could take a picture so he picked it up again and let me snap away.



After Wat Tham Pha Daen I continued into the city of Sakon Nakhon and found a hotel and rested and cooled off.

Afer my much needed rest I went out to explore a little. My first stop was Wat Phra That Dum (วัดพระธาตุดุม). It is a small Khmer ruin.



My next stop was the city's main temple Wat Phra That Choeng Chum Worawihan (วัดพระธาตุเชิงชุมวรวิหาร).





I ended my day setting on a strip of land in Nong Han Lake.



My 2nd day in Sakon Nakhon I didn't accomplish much. I had a bit of funny tummy so spend a lot of day in the hotel. In the morning I visit another Khmer ruin called Phrathat Narai Cheng Weng (พระธาตุนารายณ์เจงเวง).



In the afternoon I went out to the lake again but on the other side of the city.



On the way back from the lake I made a stop at a sort of island in the middle the highway to see the Khmer Bridge.



My last full day in Sakon Nakon I didn't take many pictures. I started the day riding out to the Serpentine Road or snake curve(โค้งปิ้งงู). I think I may have rode this stretch of road when I arrived in the city.

Phu Phan Ratchaniwet Palace was at the city side end of the section of road know for twisting and turning. I don't think the palace is open to visit but took the following photo of a pond on the grounds.



I then rode out to Phra That Phu Phek (พระธาตุภูเพ็ก) which is the site of another Khmer temple ruin. When I was walking up the hill I ran into 3 ladies coming down and they made a point in telling me it was 491 stair steps up to the temple ruin. They wanted to make sure I had water before attempting the stairs. I sat on a chair at the start of the steps and looked at pictures on my phone of the temple on google maps and decided it was not impressive enough for me to climb 491 steps. I did enjoy the ride to and from the site so felt it was not a waste of time but glad I saved my legs for the days to come.

My last site in Sakon Nakhon was Phu Phan Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์ภูพาน). I was not over impressed with the museum but it was sort of interesting and it was free so I can't really complain. I enjoyed my time in Sakon Nakhon.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you thanked those ladies for telling you the number of steps! Lovely pictures, my favorite, the waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you is the one thing I am good at saying in Thai so I seem to say it at the end of each sentence. I think the waterfall was man made but still pretty.

      Delete