Pages

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

World Dragon Boat Racing Championships

I saw online that there were going to be Dragon boat races in Pattaya and sounded like something interesting to see. The event had been moved to Thailand from Hong Kong due to strict Covid policies in China. Here I was thinking Covid was behind us. Oh well Hong Kong's loss my gain.

Seems it had been moved from Royal Thai Rowing Training Center in Rayong to Mabprachan Lake in Pattaya due to low water levels in Rayong. With the recent rains the levels had increased and it moved back to Rayong. It was only a 30 minute ride on the motorbike to Rayong compared to a 10 minute ride to Mabprachan Lake in Pattaya so not really an issue.

I did have an issue with finding out when the races would take place. The event was scheduled from the 7th to the 13th of August but a more detailed schedule was not posted anywhere I could find. I read the opening event would take place at Jomtien Beach on the evening of the 7th but no more details. I was asking some Thai people in a bar if they knew anything about the races and they just looked at me like I was crazy. A German in the bar overheard my crazy talk and told me where he had found a schedule and showed me there would be daily racing.

I went to Rayong on the 8th and spent about 3 hours watching the races. The ticket price was 100 Baht which I could not find anywhere online but not too high a prices.

Following are a couple of short videos I posted of races.





I did not really know what was going on for most of the time I was there. They would be having races at the same time they were awarding medals for other races. I could not tell what country was in which boat when they were racing but only after the race was over and they rowed back could I read the country on the back of their shirts. It was still fun to watch but I was glad I did not really care who won.



I think the Canadians won the most medals while I was there.



The facebook page at the following link has a lot more pictures and videos if you are interested. 16th IDBF World Dragon Boat Racing Championships, Thailand 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment