Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Ganeshas Galore

I have looked at some of the sites in one of the neighboring provinces to where I live and finally got my lazy butt on my scooter and rode up to Chachoengsao.

I may have said this before but I find Thailand a bit confusing when it comes to religion. It is mainly a Buddhist country but when you go to a temple there may be of mix of Buddhist, Hindu and even Taoist statues or images. I visited 3 sites that had giant Ganeshas in Chachoengsao.

I started at Wat Phrong Akat with the following Ganesha.



This Ganesha also had smaller Ganesha statues all around the base.




The main temple was also very striking but did not find the interior very impressive.



My 2nd stop was at The Khlong Khuean Shri Ganesh International Park. I have read that the statue here is the worlds tallest Gansha statue at 39 meters or about 128 feet high. I thought he had a spear head in his hand but read it is sugar cane and his other hands are holding Jack Fruit, Banana and a Mango. My pictures do not do this Ganesha justice.



My 3rd stop of the day did not have any Ganesha statues that I noticed but did have an elephant statue. Following are a couple of pictures at Wat Pak Nam Jolo.





My 4th stop of the day and my last Ganesha was at Wat Saman Rattanaram.



Wat Saman Rattanaram seemed to feel more like a fair ground or amusement park than a place of worship. It had a market all around it selling all kinds of stuff and other huge statues.





I did find the lotus looking thing on the Bang Pakong river attractive.



I stopped at one more site and it was the highlight of the day for me but I will talk about it in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment