Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dancing around the temple on Songkran

The village where I spent Songkran (Thai New Year) this year had a procession of people dancing down the street followed by people playing music and a money tree. The money tree is from donations of people but I don't know if it is for something specific or just for the temple (Wat).

The procession proceeded to the Wat and went around it 3 times and then enter for a ceremony that I did not attend. I am not sure if this had anything to do with Songkran or the fact that it took place on Songkran was just a coincidence but decided to share the short video I captured.



I have very little understanding of the customs and rituals of Buddhism and would like to learn more about why they do the things they do in their religious practices. It may be like in Christianity and there is not a clear understanding or why lighting candles is done other than that is what you are suppose to do. If anyone knows of a website or book that has explanations for things like having a string tied on your wrist I would really appreciate the pointer.

No comments:

Post a Comment