Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Whirling Dervish

I have read that a lot of people enjoy planning travel more than the travel itself. I am not one of these people. I am not really good at planning my travel and a lot of the time I wake up in the morning with no clue what I am going to do with the day. This can cause problems when something I want to do only happens once a week and it is on Saturday and I arrive in the city on Sunday. This is what happened to me in Konya Turkey. I had read about attending the Whirling Dervish at the the Mevlana Cultural Center but forgot to make a note of the day when it happened so arrived the day after it happened. I also did not note that 2 of the museums that I wanted to visit were closed on Monday or I would have made a point to visit them on the day I arrived.

I stayed in Konya for 2 days and then moved on to Goreme and the wonderful landscape that makes up Cappadocia. I had enjoyed Konya and decided I would make the return journey to Konya to attend the Whirling Dervish at the the Mevlana Cultural Center and visit the 2 museums that I missed.

I am not sure I would have made this decision if I would have known that it was going to pour down rain and drench me on this visit. I also would of at least pulled my rain coat out of my backpack prior to sticking it in a locker at the train station if I had known the weather was going to be this bad. I still really enjoyed the Whirling Dervish and thought I would share a few of the videos I took. I hope you enjoy them without having to get wet on the way to and from the Mevlana Cultural Center.







Also if anyone is going to attend the Whirling Dervish at the the Mevlana Cultural Center it is important to know that in the winter it starts at 8PM rather than 9PM as in my guide book. I am really glade the gentleman in my hotel informed me about this or the wet walk would have been really disappointing.

2 comments: