Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

How I Know I'm Old


A long time ago I teased my parents that all old people watch birds. It has been a number of years but at last I freely admit that I also watch birds. I am officially old.

I have been enjoying my time this past month visiting with my parents and watching the bird feeders in their back yard. Today the hummingbird feeders were really active and here are a few of the videos I captured.



From Wikipedia "Hummingbirds hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 12–80 times per second. They are known as hummingbirds because of the humming sound created by their beating wings, which sometimes sounds like bees or other insects."



I also found on Wikipedia that Hummingbirds are only found in the Americas and the Caribbean. This explains why I was having a hard time describing them to my girlfriend in Thailand. Hopefully these videos will help.



There is one Hummingbird that seems to always stay close to my parents feeder and tries to chase off any other hummingbirds that try to feed. This makes it really fun to watch with one bird chasing after the other but they move so fast I can not really capture this on the videos.

I enjoyed watching the birds, maybe getting old is not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment