Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ravenna town of Mosaics

I had some time off and could not decide where to go until I found a 10 euro flight to Bologna. How can you pass up a 10 euro flight to Italy so my decision was made for me. It cost me a lot more to get to the airport on public transport than the flight to Italy. After the night in Bologna I caught a train to Ravenna.


Ravenna is on the UNESCO list of world heritage sites as Early Christian Monuments. I visited the 6 sites that are talked about on the UNESCO site. I have not always been impressed with some of the places on the UNESCO list but the mosaics are really impressive. The above pictures is examples of some of the Mosaics.

I also visited the Archiepiscopal Museum. I was surprised by the mosaics in the Archbishop's Chapel in the middle of the museum and also found the Ivory Throne of Maximian interesting. There were no photos allowed in the Museum so do not have any pictures to show.

I took what should have been a short bus ride to see the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe which is on the UNESCO list. I got on the bus going the wrong direction so went to the end of the line and then back through Ravenna before heading to the small town of Classe.

One of the things I really enjoyed about Ravenna was the small number of tourists. I had the Basilica all to myself for 10 or 15 minutes and no place I went to in Ravenna was crowded. The following is from the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe.

No comments:

Post a Comment