Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

No Traffic in Bangkok



Strange to see roads in Bangkok with no traffic.



I posted a video earlier of the gun salute at the Cremation Ceremony of Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana Krom Luang Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra. I was on a bus going across Bangkok when the lady told me I needed to get out of the bus this is as close as it would get to where I was going. It seems that all the roads around the Sanam Luang where closed to traffic. Sanam Luang is the large open field in front of the royal palace where the Crematorium was setup.

I found it a lot of fun walking out in the middle of the road taking pictures with no cars. I had a monk that made it clear that I was not behaving appropriately and was not happy until I came out of the middle of the street and started walking on the sidewalk. I still don't know if it was that he was worried about me getting hit by a non present car or that I was not respecting the Cremation Ceremony by walking in the street with no one around. I stayed on the sidewalk from then on at least for the most part.



The above picture has the Golden Mount in the background and the following photo is a picture of the Democracy Monument with no cars in sight.



As I got closer to the Sanam Luang where the cremation was taking place the number of people started to grow and there were screens set up in various places to follow the ceremony.



I was lucky with the timing because there was no rain when I made it to Sanam Luang and I found a good location to take the video I posted previously.



I did not really understand what was going on with the cremation so just watched the guns being fired and then took off. A few days before I had walked up to Sanam Luang and took a few pictures like the one below of the buildings that were setup for the cremation.



2 comments:

  1. The streets just look spooky...I don't think I've ever seen an empty street in BKK. Only ever saw the traffic stopped briefly for members of the Royal family in CM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it seemed really strange and not sure what I would have thought if I did not know the cremation was taking place. Bangkok is a really nice place without the traffic.

      Delete