Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Oliebollen

It's that time of year again in the Netherlands where there are Oliebollen stands everywhere. What is an oliebol you may ask? Well it is a fried dough type of thing sort of like a donut without the hole. If you translate Oliebollen it is Oil Balls.


This is a photo of 2 oliebollen and 2 krentenbollen that I bought. This time they did not ask if I wanted the sugar on top which is normal but put in a small plastic bag of powered sugar so it could be added. Krenten means currants which when I looked this up seems to be a type of rasin which is what it taste like to me.

I don't know why but the stands are setup all over the town starting in November and disappear just after the new year. It is one of those traditional things that no one seems to know where it came from.


I also wonder what they do with the stands the rest of the year. Maybe they change the writing and use them for the traveling caravel things that happen at different times of the year.


I like oliebollen even though I am sure they are not good at all for me but at least they only seem to be around for a short period of time. This is the stand that I bought the ones that I have eaten so far this year but I still have another month to see if they are better somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment