Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rocky Mountain Arsenal

After visiting a family friend that was in the hospital my parents and I decided to check out the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. The little bit that I knew about the Rocky Mountain Arsenal was not good. I knew it was a restricted place when I was growing up and my understanding then was that it stored a large amount of deadly chemicals. Reading on the web site this was actually the place where the chemical weapons were made. During the process of investigating the extent of the pollution and ways to clean it up a large animal population was discovered in the buffer zone around the arsenal. This is now a National Wildlife refuge.

The refuge is suppose to be home to a number of bald eagles but we did not see any on our visit there. We did not spend a great deal of time at the refuge but walked around the lake and watched the geese and the red winged black birds fly around.




It was a nice day out even if it was not that impressive. I was really happy later to stand and look into the mirror and confirm that I was not glowing. Just something you have to check after visiting a place that at one time was one of the most dangerous places in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment