Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

1st Day on a Motorbike

The place I was staying in Kalibukbuk also rented motorbikes and the prices was really cheap so I decided to rent a bike for the day and get out on my own. Bali is not really a big island and I decided to ride from the north side of the island to the south and then back again. I am not sure I went the right way to get to my first stop of Gitgit waterfall but I basically went to the town of Singaraja and made a right. I seemed to find the right road and the parking lot for the waterfalls. It was a bit of a walk down to the falls. Here is a picture of the falls.
From the Gitgit falls I just kept riding up to Danau Bratan Area. It seems to be at about the center of the island and the temperature is a lot cooler. It was a pretty drive to reach the area made up of a couple of lakes. This is a picture of the Pura Ulun Danu Bratan Temple on one of the lakes.
After visiting the temple I rode back in the direction that I had come and then made a left going on a road that overlooked the other lake and I stopped and took a couple of pictures. I kept heading west and then turned south. My guidebook suggested a route going from Pulukan via Pupuan. I am not sure I took the specific route that the book suggested but it was a really enjoyable ride for most of the day. Even after a year of traveling in Asia I still enjoy seeing the rice fields.
Once I saw the south coast of the island I turned back east on a main highway. The main road along the southwest part of Bali was not alot of fun to ride on just due to the volume of traffic. I only took it for 20K or so and then took a different road headed north. I was about ½ way across the island when the sky opened up on me and I got soaked to the bone. It rained on me almost all the way back to Kalibukbuk but when I arrived there the guy at my hotel laughed at me and said they had not gotten a bit of rain all day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you ad a great time on the motorbike. That sure looks like a long waterfalls.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete