Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Guilin

I wanted to take a boat from Yangshuo to Guilin but boats only run with passengers in the one direction and return to Guilin empty. I took the bus to Guilin and when exiting the bus station I was following a woman that had hair down to her knees. I did not know it then but have since found out this is one of the traits of the Yao people which are considered one the Chinese minorities. I will try and talk about the minorities in a later blog.

After finding my hostel I spent the rest of the day walking around the town and buying the tour for the boat trip back to Yangshuo down the Li River. While walking around I saw some of the city's lakes and was surprised how low the Li River was in Guilin.
I decided to pay the extra money and take the western boat down the Li River rather than the Chinese boat and think I made the right decision because I really enjoyed talking to the different people on the boat. I enjoyed the views from the river also but don't think they were any better than the views I had from the bike rides in Yangshuo.

No comments:

Post a Comment