Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sloten Windmill



The Sloten Windmill is the only windmill in Amsterdam that is open to the general public and this is their English webpage. I have not been inside this windmill and may at some point but not high on my list of things to do. The Sloten Windmill was built in 1991 with parts from a older windmill from 1847.



When I was riding around taking pictures of windmills I noticed this windmill that would fit in better in the western part of the US than in Amsterdam but I still thought I would share the photo I took.



A week of Amsterdam windmills would not be complete without at least mentioning the modern windmills. There are a lot more of the modern windmills in Amsterdam than the ones that spring into your mind when you think about the typical Dutch Windmill. Here is a photo of 3 close to Amsterdam's Sloterdijk train station.



This is an end to the Amsterdam Windmill photo week and I have really enjoyed going around taking pictures of the windmills. When I first thought of this, I thought of 4 windmills for my normal weekly photos but as I was going around I kept thinking of another windmill that I had not considered. Honestly I did not think Amsterdam had this many windmills and there are a lot more just outside the city. I even discovered the Otter which I had never seen before. I may have also missed some and I was surprised I only had a single photo of an Amsterdam windmill prior to deciding to do this.

It has been fun playing tourist in my own back yard and rediscovering Amsterdam. Hope others enjoyed going along with me this week.

It would have been helpful to look up this map before I started going around taking pictures. Better late then never.


View Amsterdam windmills in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment